I just pulled this pie from the oven… The crust is a homemade sweet pastry.
Chocolate Brandy Pecan Pie
Sweet Pastry (preferably homemade)
1 cup dark chocolate pieces (I used 70.5% Belgian Chocolate)
1.5 cups pecan pieces
5 large eggs
2 cups (about 2, not packed) dark brown suger
1/2 cup real maple syrup
1/4 (50g) stick unsalted butter
1/4 cup brandy (I used XO Armagnac)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 165°C/325°F.
2. Roll out pie crust and line pie tin with sweet pastry.
3. Cover bottom of pie crust with dark chocolate bits. Add pecan pieces on top of dark chocolate bits.
4. Break eggs into large mixing bowl and whisk.
5. In a saucepan over medium heat add brown suger, maple syrup, and butter. Remove pan from heat and add brandy. Heat to a slow simmer until bubbly and combined.
6. At this point you may turn off the heat and let the mixture cool for 10 minutes, then whisk into eggs. Or, add the hot mixture immediately to eggs by tempering – whisk the eggs continuously as you add the hot mixture.
7. Pour mixture into pie crust and place on a rack in the middle of the oven.
8. Bake at 165°C/325°F until centre of pie wiggles only slightly and springs back when pressed (about 50 minutes). If the top of the pie browns before the pie is set, cover the pie with aluminium foil and continue to cook until pie is set.
9. Allow pie to cool completely before serving.
10. Top with whipped cream or whatever catches your fancy and serve.